Professor Aviad Hacohen is the President of The Academic College for Law and Science; former dean of its Law School, and Senior Lecturer in Constitutional Law and Jewish Law at the Faculty of Law of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem; Senior Research Fellow, Van-Leer Institute, Jerusalem.
In the past he has also taught in the Law School of Bar Ilan University and at the School of Social Work of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
After completing his BA and MA (cum laude) in Law at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, he was awarded his PhD in Law from the Hebrew University in 2003 (magna cum laude).
Areas of Research
Prof. Hacohen’s current research interests include: Constitutional Law, Administrative Law, Communication Law, Religion and State, Human Rights and Jewish Law.
- Books (as author)
- The Tears of the Oppressed - An Examination of the Agunah Problem: Background and Halakhic Sources (New York, 2004)
- Torah and Law, 575 pages (Tel Aviv, 2011) [Heb.]
- A lion Between the Worlds – Rabbi Arye Bina: His Life and Thought, 2018 [Heb.], 528 pages
- Books (as editor)
- Legal Dictionary (with E. Shaked), 1992; 2nd and revised edition, 1999; 3rd and revised edition, 2009
- (with M. Wygoda), Legal Aspects in Torah Weekly Portion, Ministry of Justice, 1,900 pages in 6 Volumes
- (with Haim Be'er and Hana Amit), A Tribute to Menachem – R. Menachen Hacohen Jubilee Volume , 498 pages
- (with Prof. A. Maoz) Jewish Identity, Tel Aviv Faculty of Law, 450 pages (Tel Aviv, 2014)
- (with Justice Zvi Tal and Prof. H. Mak) The Sword and The Book: R. Mordechay Piron Jubilee Volume, 689 pages (Jerusalem, 2014)
- (with D. Gliksberg, A. Edrei, B. Lifshitz), Menachem Elon Memorial Volume, The Harry Sacker Institute, The Faculty of Law, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, 2018
- Articles (selected recent articles)
Aviad Hacohen, " 'Everything is according to the American custom' : A New Custom for a New Country", in: Minhagim – Custom and Practice in Jewish Life (I.I. Lifshitz and others (ed.), De Gruyter, 2020, pp. 235-324
There was A Star from Jacob – Nomination and Removal of Civil Servants: Between Jewish Law and Israeli Law", Justice Jacob Tirkel Jubilee Volume (Ahron Barak, Karin Japhet, Elyakim Rubinstein, ed., 2020, pp. 109-155
The Peace Maker – Human Dignity, A Listening Heart and Common Sense as Supreme Values in Law and Jewish Law", Justice Elyakim Rubinstein Jubilee Volume 2020, pp. 45-106
The Contribution of the Moroccan Jewish Scholars in Recent Generations to the Development of Constitutional Jewish Law", in: My Heart is in the East 2 (2020), pp. 85-178
"Conversion According To Dat Moshe (Jewish Law) and (The State of) Israel: A Big Mess, Fuss and Chaos", in: Menachem Finkelstein Jubilee Book, Nevo, 2020, pp. 713-751
"The Corona Pandemic through the Prism of Jewish Law", Justice (2020), pp. 19-28
Sex Offences and False Complaints", Parashat ha-Shavu'a (The Weekly Portion), Ministry of Justice, no.504 (2020)
Honors & Awards
- Honors & Awards
1991 – Yaakov Herzog Prize for an outstanding student of law, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
1992 – Selbit Prize for an outstanding MA student, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
1994 – Shenrech Prize for outstanding research in Jewish Civil Law, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
1997 – Rober Asraf Prize for outstanding doctoral research
1999 – Leo Gozik Prize for Jewish Civil Law, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
2004 – Dr. Moshe Zilberg Prize for an outstanding doctoral dissertation in law, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem